Our lower grade text books taught us “Get up early, brush your teeth,drink water blah blah….”.The modern day manifestation of this is something like “Get up at whatever time you wish,Open your mobile ,check for whatzapp ,we chat messages,check Facebook account,check mails…..etc”.I can see you people nodding your heads in agreement while you read this :-p
This post is meant to celebrate our addiction to “Screens” .Read along to find out how much you fit in this scenario..
Let us examine a typical day in the life of so called modern professional.
1) Get up ,check your mobile err Smartphone for whatzapp/we chat/ messages;
2) Fresh up yourself-now check mails from the “n” number of email accounts you might have opened.
3) Go to office-check official mails for a while and then switch to Facebook
4) Like and comment stuff on Facebook and then switch to twitter.
5) Then open TOI(Times of India) or any other newspaper and get acquainted with what is going on in the world…
6) Then do some office work…get bored and reopen Facebook
7) Harvest some crops on Facebook(Farmville) or Solve some criminal cases
8) Keep on refreshing Facebook for new feeds to pop-in
9) Else hook on to Reddit/Quora or start reading blogs
10) Wrap up work get into company cab/bus and start playing Temple run or Fruitninja or Angry birds
11) Reach home…switch on TV or watch series…or go to a theater to watch a movie
12) Check again to see if there is anything on the social networking sites…
14) Repeat 1-14
Right from the time we get up till we sleep we are addicted to screens. Different screen sizes( viz smartphones,laptops,T.V.,Multiplex screens) have enslaved us.Unknowingly we have become the victims of a new kind of slavery called Screen Slavery.
I wonder how obsessed we have become with all these. We just can’t live without these.Be it in the name of socializing,entertainment,or information procurement we are just glued to them. While on the contrary we were the same people who have had a happy life without all these.But now all these have become an utter necessity.One can’t imagine his/her life without these…
While we are enjoying being "Screen Slaves" on the other hand we are missing so many things that screens cant offer.Just think when was the last time you have had a peaceful walk a midst nature having a nice conversation with your friend.When was the last time you put your heart and soul in stuff that you love to do(Now don’t say I love to watch TV and I have been doing it regularly)..When was the last time you were soaked in the beauty of a book,or you actually read a newspaper in its “paper” form.All in all when was the last time you had a life without the involvement of screens..????? Hard to recollect ..isn't it?
Just cut down on screens for a while everyday, you will have time to do some creative stuff. Life will be calmer and peaceful. You can actually socialize in person than on social networking sites.Your bonds might get strengthened. Instead of reading Inspirational stories and Quotes on Facebook,get out and start doing stuff.You may become more focused on your goals and success might embrace you sooner.
Let us stop being an e-zombie.Let us free ourselves from the “Screen-Slavery”. I end this post with this beautiful video that covers the gist of the post